Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Politics of (Un)Death

This will likely be a short post tonight, as I have just returned from a mission brieifing, and will soon be travelling to the (currently) undisclosed location for this mission. I will be sure to blog the mission once it is operationally safe to do so, and I may be able to make some other entries with my shiny new laptop, so I will be not be absent for any period of time...

But one thing that has been bothering me, with the upcoming vote in Iraq, and the inaugurationin DC coming up next week...I didn't get to vote for the first time in my life (or death)!

You see, since I was officially declared dead, I cannot vote using my prior identity, since that person is now legally dead. But I also don't have a birth certificate or any other identification for my present incarnation, other than the credentials issued to me by the Bureau. I am essentially a legal non-entity.

I don't know how he was able to pull it off, but I did twist Drake's nuts hard enough to make him keep paying me a salary to a special account at a bank where I can do all of my banking online. This allows me some freedom to have my own place, and to decorate in my own new and eclectic style--I do most of my shopping online at places like eBay and Amazon.

But it really chaps my ass that I couldn't vote in this past election. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not usually very politically active, I actually hate politicians of all parties. I usually vote against the incumbent in every election, since I don't want those candyass politicians to get too comfortable in their cushy jobs, you know? I guess every vote I ever cast was pretty much a protest vote...vote all of the bums out I say!

Now I don't even get to do that. Maybe that is why I find myself blogging these experiences, in the hopes of having my voice heard by someone, somewhere. Maybe I should move to Chicago, or Lousiana, I hear those places let the dead folks vote too!

If what was done to me happens to many more people, they are going to have to figure out how to handle shit like this. I mean, I can always lean on the Bureau to make something happen, although they fell on their faces on the voting issue, but what if this process is used by the private sector, for profit? What rights will those people (monsters?) have? Will we need an amendment to protect the rights of the Undead? And how the hell do you handle life insurance payments to family members when the dead guy gets up and goes back to work after the funeral?

How will they handle it when someone (something) like me commits a crime? What about a life sentence? Or a death sentence? I think I am already serving that one.

Hey maybe now people can serve multiple life sentences, and be brought back to serve each of them in teeny, tiny cells, staring at a blank wall...what a horror!

How long do I even have? Drake sure as hell doesn't know. He's not even completely sure how this actually worked. 'It's magick, Agent Bones, it's magick,' is all he says when I ask him. I do know that I wasn't the first guy they tried this on, I am reasonably sure though, that I am the first one it actually worked on...lucky me.

Well, looks like my ride is here...packing sure is easy, grab my laptop and duffle with a spare hat, some extra hands (gloves to go over my skeletal looking fingers), and away I go!

No comments: