Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Conclave...Interlude-Part 1

In the intervening two weeks between the rescue of Alexa and and the convening of the Conclave, Ravyn’s wardrobe grew in an almost direct proportion to the dwindling of my bank account. The true shock to the ol’ account however, was when the bill for her three day stay at a rather exclusive spa resort on the western shore of Lake Michigan was delivered by special courier. One look at that evil document sent me packing for the Spirit World and a visit to the one place that was truly mine, Yggsdrasil’s clearing.

Even though I have now learned how to reach that clearing using the Shadow, I preferred to journey there in Spirit form. You see, when I travelled there in Spirit only, I was able to truly enjoy the experience of smelling, touching and tasting that I no longer can in my physical body. I was also able to project myself as my younger self, with a healthy, vibrant body.

I arrived at the clearing, immediately comforted by the sight and gently swaying sounds of the giant, black tree. A mild breeze pushed through the black and white leaves, creating soothing sighs that often led to the Tree speaking to me, when it chose to.

As I was making my way through a tangle of the roots however, I saw a small, slender figure sitting with its back to me. A female form, perhaps a teenager, judging by the size of her body. At first I thought it might be Herlinda, since she and Diego were often here, but the girl’s hair was darker and curlier than Herlina’s and her skin was darker.

I carefully circled around so that she would have some warning that I was coming, and we could both get a better look at each other before we spoke. I wasn’t exactly looking for company at the moment, but encounters with other people in this place in particular, usually proved to be very important.

As her face came into my view, I noticed that her eyes were closer, she was also swaying slowly in time with the Tree, like she was the one listening to it speak. I was beginning to get a little jealous!

The closer I got to her, the more familiar her face seemed. Finally, it dawned on me... “Naomi?”

Her eyes opened. She looked directly at me; I was transfixed by the intensity of her gaze. “It took you long enough to get here. I thought you’d never come. Luckily for you, this Tree thinks highly of you.”

“How did you find this place?”

She smiled. “When I saw you chasing after the brute that took my baby Alexa, a voice whispered in my ear, ‘Come to me, I will help you.’ So I followed where the voice told me to go, flowing up and out of my body. I saw you catch Alexa and disappear. It almost broke my heart when it looked like she was going to die, too! But after you were gone, the voice kept speaking to me in its whisper, ‘Come with me and I will show you where Alexa is.’ So I kept going. Before long, I passed above the storm and found myself in this...place. The Tree of yours was calling me. He said you would come.”

I sat down across from her, finding a comfortable spot in a large tangle of roots. “That’s amazing, I didn’t know it had the ability to do that.”

The sighing sounds of the Tree resolved themselves into discernible words for the first time at that, at least for me. “As you grow in strength, I, too, grow deeper roots.”

She shifted in her seat, looked briefly back up into the leaves as the Tree spoke, apparently to both of us, then looked back at me. “So you are my baby’s daddy.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to stay with your tree for a while, that bill was only for the 1st phase of my stay at the spa. There were another 4 um, 5, no wait 7 days the following week.

:::Twirls around showing off new frocks and my beautiful shiney curly hair all healthy again:::

Frau your potions worked wonders!!
*Smooches*

Anonymous said...

Why thank you dear. You do know that I have a supply on hand, right? Anytime you want some, just ask. *Hug*
Frau

Agent Bones said...

Yeah Ravyn, I'm not sure which cost more, your ten days of spa treatment, or the secret government program that created me in the first place...

If the Professor hadn't allowed me to 'expense' the whole thing with the ORC account, I might have been the first zombie in bankruptcy court...Now that would have been funny.

Mind you, it was not a happy look that Jim gave me when took the bill, he was grumbling something about women and their hair...

Anonymous said...

Jim...honey, sweetie, love? You KNOW I'll make it up to you in any way I can.

But let's think about this, how much cash over the years have I put into this account you're letting him expense this off on? So now I'm paying for my own spa date to repair the damage caused by yet again rescuing this silly zombie?!?!?!?

I think a private meeting is in order - and instead of the above, YOU will be making this up to me LOL.

In this case for the moment Zombie 1 - Ravyn 0. What's wrong with this picture?

Anonymous said...

Raven, my dear, I’ve told you before that it’s not nice to flirt with lonely men just to get your way – you’re better than that. I do concede your point, though. After this past tour of duty, you’ve certainly earned a few days off. By all means, indulge yourself. But please try to remember that our funds will be needed for important operations very soon, and there’s a limit to how much juice can be squeezed from a market without it being noticed.

As always, I look forward to seeing you soon. In this instance, not just to set eyes on your beauty once more, but to know that the pool boy’s bruises can now begin to heal – I’ve been getting daily calls from the manager.

Anonymous said...

The pool boy? THE POOL BOY?!?!? That pimply lil thang that I found trying to set up a video cam in my shower? I scared the stuffing out of him. Other than that, never laid a finger on him. Swear it on Betsy's flaming feathers! He's lucky he's not sitting on his scrawney little butt in jail! But getting back to the beginning of your comment...

Jim, you know very well you are only lonely by your own choice. Even I get my nose out of the books and out into the world once in a while, though my down time has been sorely lacking these days trying to keep up with this self destructive messy wreck of a zombie. I so need a night out dancing and letting my hair down....

I'm just protesting that the cash I've put into our account is now being used to bail him out of a fix he got himself into. Know the importance of keeping our funds fluid without drawing attention to them. :::Turns zombie upside down and shakes for cash::: Is this what they mean by a shakedown?

I would never flirt with you just to get my way. But then 99.9995% of the time you wouldn't recognize flirting if it bit you on the um..nose, that's it nose. But even so, love those long philisophical talks deep into the night. They keep the braincells active and exercised. It's wonderful to have intelligent conversations.

One last thing, have that manager call me instead of you, after I speak to him, I believe he will let the matter rest.