Sunday, April 30, 2006

Wax On, Wax Off...Part 2

“I can’t accept that.”

“Exactly.”

“Exactly what?”

She looked up from her work, her eyes flashing with intensity. “That’s exactly what Drake counts on.”

“Huh?”

She sighed, leaned on the table with both hands and gathered her brows into a single dark line before speaking again. “Drake knows that you won’t give up, that you won’t surrender willingly to him. He counts on you looking for a way to actually kill him. But you see, as long as you are merely looking for a way to kill him, to do what no one else has suceeded in doing over a life that has now lasted over 5,000 years, you will ignore other options.”

“What the Hell other options can there possibly be?”

With that question, a small smile escaped from her lips for the briefest of moments. “Trust me on that one Rusty, there are options,...possibilities.”

“OK, you’ve got my attention now.”

“Good.” She then went back to work and continued to speak. “Drake will be here shortly, so we must have everything ready.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“When Drake comes, I will give him these urns....”

“Wait a damn minute! That doesn’t sound like a very reasonable plan...”

Her withering look stopped me in mid complaint. “When Drake comes, I will give him these urns, if he agrees to to release those held within them right here.”

“Why would he agree to do that?”

“He may not. But if he doesn’t, we will not give him the urns.”

“So how are we going to stop him if he decides not to bargain with us?”

“There is no ‘we’ in this, Rusty. You will have to restrain yourself from interfering with my dealings with Drake.”

“Dammit Cerrydwen, I don’t think you realize who your are fucking with here, he’ll tear you apart without a second damn thought!”

“I know full well who I will be facing. I have no illusions as to who Drake is and what he is capable of. He, however, has very little idea of who I am, and what I am capable of.”

I shook my head, knowing full well that things were going south very quickly. “I don’t think that Drake is going to be affected very much by your powers, Cerrydwen. He’s done a lot of bad shit in his long existence, but I am pretty sure that he is far too strong to be paralyzed like I’ve seen you do to lesser foes. Drake is a lot stronger than Papa Locks ever thought about being.”

“Rusty, I certainly hope he sees things the way you do, it will make this task all the easier to accomplish. Now, finish cleaning this surface. I will return shortly.”

With that, she set aside her pine branch, turned her back to me, and calmly walked back into the woods behind her. I shook my head again as I set about finishing the task she had set me to, wondering all the while how she could be so damn foolish. I glanced at the duffle bag containing the two urns and debated the merits of walking off this damn island....

No comments: