Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Shadow Council...Part 3

Without further delay, I laid out the deal that Drake was offering.

Even as I was finishing, Ravyn and Cerrydwen were protesting. “Oh no!” “You can’t let him get near Alexa!”

Both the Frau and Jim had remained silent, the Frau looking unperturbed as she used a dagger-like knife to cut open a giant grapefruit from the ever-full fruit bowl, while Jim sat back stroking his chin in a contemplative manner.

I held up my hands in mock surrender to the previously sparring sisters-in-magick, as I sat back in my chair. “Hey, I didn’t agree to the deal yet! In fact, it’s been almost a week since he proprosed it.”

Ravyn look exasperated. “A whole week! Why didn’t you just reject his deal and be done with him?”

Cerrydwen nodded in agreement to Ravyn’s words. “Indeed, I doubt that Drake would have the discipline to maintain his silence if you rejected his ‘deal.’ You would have seen this by now if you had rejected the proprosal outright.”

I nodded. “My first reaction was to refuse the deal, I even told him that seeing Alexa was the dealbreaker, but he insisted.” I looked over to Ravyn. “I thought better of giving a definitive answer of ‘no’, just in case he wasn’t bluffing. I didn’t want to cut off an avenue to information we might need, just in case.”

Jim dropped his hand from his chin and sat up straight. “Let’s look at each element of this deal and see how feasible it all is. First, he wants you to open up your blog, which has previously been your own personal domain to tell his story to us, and to the world. Are you willing to conside that request?”

I looked from person to person around the table before responding. “I don’t have any real problem with part of the deal, I suppose.”

Jim took the pitcher form the center of the table and poured more Diet Pepsi into his cup, marvelling at the magick of the pitcher, able to pour any liquid the holder desired. “Is there any way to take this thing back home? It would save me a mint!” He put the pitcher down and looked up at me. “Have you considered how ponderous this request might be? This guy has been supposedly been around for five thousand years, and appears to have been involved in many historical periods. That part of the deal alone could take years to complete, and you could very lose the readers of your blog. That is, unless they are particularly interested in Drake’s history, told from his side.”

“I hadn’t thought of it that way.”

He nodded. “You need to. If this is something you are going to consider, I recommend that you negotiate on that one a bit, make sure you limit the posts on his life to perhaps once a week.”

“Good idea.”

After he drained his cup, Jim sat back. “Now, item two. He wants you to agree to take up this struggle against Drakaar and his fellow demi-godlike beings since he can’t continue that struggle himself. While on the face of it, this seems like a foregone conclusion, it is still a serious issue. You don’t know how many of these other beings are out there, or what their individual motivations may be. Even if Drake tells you his perspective on these beings, we will need to independently verify his story and come to our own conclusions about whether they are truly the threat to humanity that Drake is stating that they are. He does have a rather spotty record with the truth, as I recall.”

I couldn’t argue that point. “Yes. He finds ways to twist the truth worse than any president ever did. I also had a concern about these other beings, besides Drakaar. I felt what he was like, so I’m pretty confident we’re going to face off against him. But the rest of his brethren? That I don’t know just yet.”

“So, I would recommend that you try to negotiate further on this part of the deal as well. Either limit your agreement to tracking down and facing off against Drakaar and any allies that help him, or ask for names that we can do further independent research on before agreeing fully to this item. That leaves us with the final condition of the deal. The meeting with Alexa.”

The Frau looked up from her half eaten grapefruit at the mention of Alexa’s name. “Well, I don’t think we have all of the interested parties here to discuss this last point.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

She looked from Jim to me and then over at Cerrydwen and Ravyn. “Clearly, the only person who really answer this point is Alexa’s mother, Naomi.”

No comments: