Monday, July 13, 2009

An Unexpected Offer...Part 3

I stood up from leaning on the ledge and turned to face this creature full on. I wanted to be ready for anything at this point. I certainly had no reason to trust him. "So what are you offering?"

The Slayer remained in place, looking out towards the ruined hulk of old Tiger Stadium.

"Let's start with what we want, first."
I nodded. "OK, I'll bite. So what do you want?"

"It is simple, really. We want the one you call El Diablito."

I laughed. "I thought you guys were working with him. What has your little Axis of Evil suffered a little schism?"

The Slayer didn't seem to find any humor in my joke. "If you want your daughter, the one you call Alexa and her mother returned to you without any lasting harm done to them, you might take this discussion a little more seriously."

The prospect of getting Alexa and Naomi back brought my thoughts right into focus. "OK, you have my attention now. How do I know that you have Alexa and Naomi and that you will make good on your promises?"

Now he stood up and faced me in return. "If you agree to this bargain, we will immediately cease all hostilities against you and your allies and I will bring the one you call Naomi to you in your latest hiding spot unharmed. She will be able to relate to you and the others what has happened to them and that this offer is serious. In direct exchange for this gesture, you will return with me and begin the hunt for our mutual enemy."

I had to admit that there was a certain charm in the idea...you know, 'The enemy of my enemy is an ally' sort of thing.

I nodded. "I will have to discuss this with the others."

He smiled. "That would be rather unusual of you, human."

I tensed as he reached inside of his jacket pocket but relaxed when he pulled out what appeared to be a cell phone. He tossed it in my direction. I caught it.

"Call 'Home' when you are ready to strike the deal." With that I saw him pull the Shadow about him like a cloak and disappear into the bitterly cold, dark air.

No comments: